Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and you haven’t even thought about what to get your partner yet?
Panic over. If Valentine’s Day for you means lots of chocolate and splashes of red, then we’ve cooked up a tasty treat with these Easy Chocolate Cupcakes.
P.S. You can still make these Chocolate Cupcakes if it’s not Valentine’s Day or you’re single. Treat yo’ self.
Try this easy go-to recipe for the perfect cupcake every time:
Ingredients (makes 12-14)
For the Cupcakes:
- 115g self-raising flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 165g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g unsalted butter (preferably at room temp)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp boiling water
For the Frosting:
- 60g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 30g cocoa powder
- 250g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp whole milk
‘My other half is a big foodie so every year I make a batch of valentines’ cupcakes. Depending on what we end up doing, if we go to the cinema or out for dinner, he always loves coming home and finishing the evening with a delicious chocolate cupcake.’
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas mark 6) and line a cupcake tin with whatever pretty paper cases you are using.
- Sift the cocoa powder, self-raising flour and caster sugar into a bowl.
- Add the butter, baking powder and boiling water until all are combined.
- Add the eggs into the mixture along with the vanilla extract and mix with an electric hand whisk (or beat it with a wooden spoon if you need to release some energy!).
- Divide the mixture equally between your paper cases and bake in your preheated oven for around 12-15 minutes until they are risen.
- Once baked, cool the cases on a wire rack.
- To make the chocolate frosting, melt the butter and pour into a bowl.
- Sift the cocoa powder into the bowl and stir in the icing sugar a little bit at a time to make it nice and glossy.
- If the frosting is too thick, gradually add in the milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Pipe onto your cupcakes.
- If you want to add a little bit of something special as it’s valentine’s day, add some chocolate dipped strawberries to finish them off.
Want to bake but suffer from intolerances? Try out our gluten AND lactose-free New York Cheesecake.
By Sophie Jackson